NFLA Better at Home is designed to help seniors over the age of 65 to stay in their homes longer by providing essential, non-medical, support services which facilitate independence.
This Provincially funded program is managed by the United Way of the Lower Mainland and is hosted by Nanaimo Family Life Association. NFLA Better at Home serves Nanaimo and Lantzville, Ladysmith and Gabriola Island and we work closely with our First Nations Communities.
All of our services are designed to suit the individual needs of the client and services are delivered by a combination of volunteers and contractors who have been carefully screened to ensure professionalism and safety for our clients.
Services are subsidized and are based on current tax information and for some services there is no charge.
In Nanaimo we offer services which may include the following:
- Light Housekeeping – our housekeeping services include such light tasks such as vacuuming, cleaning of the bathrooms, simple dusting and tidying of the home. We do not do windows, laundry, or heavy cleaning services.
- Transportation – is provided to clients who require medical transport to local doctors or specialists. This services is predominately supported by our volunteers and service is based upon availability. Since the demand for this service is high, we recommend calling ahead 48 hours before service need. We are unable to take persons who are confined to wheelchairs or who rely on portable oxygen tanks.
- Light Yard Work – This service includes basic tidying of the front entrance way to a home, deadheading simple front gardens, watering plants and ensuring cobwebs and newspapers are removed from entrance ways. We also assist with basic planting in flower boxes in the spring based upon availability of volunteers. We do not mow lawns or remove bramble, blackberry or provide tree trimming services. Light yard work is offered from May until October only. This is a volunteer based program.
- Social/Friendly Visiting – in an effort to support isolated seniors in our community, we match clients with a volunteer who provide personal visits to our clients. This may include outings such as shopping, tea time, a game of cards or a trip to the mall. Since this is a volunteer focused program, we work towards matching clients through geography and availability. This is always a free service.
- Shopping – Medical Appointments – This service is designed for older adults who no longer drive and who need a little bit of help getting to the market to pick up groceries, medications, or various essential trips to the doctors offices. Our contractors will shop on behalf of our clients if a person is confined to their home due to medical issues. We also assist those who need support to go to the food bank or other social programs in our community.
- Minor Home Repair – This service is not designed for major repairs, but may be helpful in providing simple repairs. Our contractors will assess each situation and quote on services requested. No services will be provided without confirmation from the NFLA Better at Home team.
- Other – If you have questions about NFLA Better at Home services we invite you to give us a call and see if we may be of service.
For more information about NFLA Better at Home please contact: Cathy Holmes – Program Coordinator 250 754-3331